Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Potty Training Adventures

When we first introduced the potty seat to AJ, he was scared of it and would have nothing to do with sitting on the potty. Then, he began sitting on the potty ever so briefly and saying, "I did it," without ever actually doing anything. Then my dad suggested I put him on the potty and put his hand in warm water. I tried this and AJ had a great time playing in the water, but never peed. For about a week, he'd ask for the bowl of water just to play. Next, we started playing with toys and reading books. We still do this as well as bribe him with infant fruit puffs (he still loves them) whenever he actually goes pee pee on the potty. This has finally been more effective. He is both peeing and pooping on the potty at least a couple times a day, but we are definitely not potty trained yet. However, he will stay on the potty a long time now. He is highly motivated to get puffs and will sit and sit and sit hoping to go so he can get puffs. I don't think he actually has good bladder control yet. When he goes, I think we are just getting lucky. AJ's newest infatuation is Spiderman. We have one Spiderman book. If I tell him I want him to see if he can go pee pee on the potty, he will say okay and the proceed to go get his Spiderman book to take in the bathroom for me to read to him. I really need to get a new Spiderman book. I am getting tired of reading the same one sooooooo many times a day.

No comments: