Saturday, October 18, 2008

AJ's learning to read


The last couple of months, AJ has shown a real interest in learning how to read. He started asking me how to spell things or what certain words were that he would see written. He started recognizing words that he would see repeatedly. So, we started a word list on the dry erase board on the refrigerator. After a while, I had the idea of keeping track of the words that he learned by writing them on cardboard cut outs and taping them to the tall cabinets in the kitchen. He asked me a week or two ago to take a picture of himself in front of his "word wall". He's so proud of himself for learning how to read so many words. I have provided both phonics words (sat, mat, bat, log, dog, bog, etc.) and sight words (the, that, out, you, see, she, etc.) for him to learn, but he also asks to have particular words on his word list, which is how he came to learn how to spell words like boat and rocky. AJ currently has 52 words on his word wall and another 6 on the word list on the fridge that he is pretty much ready to have on the word wall. I've come up with simple sentences he can read from the words he knows, but I plan to figure out a story I can write for him so he can read me a book for a change. :) Dave gets a kick out of saying that his 3 year old son can read. I keep reminding him that AJ will be 4 on Monday, so he won't be able to say that much longer.

No comments: