Monday, January 09, 2006

My funny boy!




Lately I've been reading about developmental skills that AJ should have by the time that he is 15 months old. Most of which were things he had already achieved, but one thing he hadn't ever done was stack blocks. By 15 months, he only needs to be able to stack two blocks, but I had never seen him do it. So, I sit down with him and try to show him stacking. He, of course, would take great pleasure in knocking down the blocks I built up. So, after several attempts at getting him to do it by himself, I gave up for the day. Then at lunch time, I slice him a banana on his high chair tray, he puts two slices in his mouth then proceeds to stack four banana slices on top of each other. Today, I take him to the grocery store and then when we get home, I bring him in, plop him and a couple sacks of groceries on the kitchen floor to run back to the car and get the rest of the bags. When I get back to the kitchen, he has taken out cans of vegetables and has three of them stacked on top of each other. So, my kid won't stack blocks, but I guess he has the concept anyway.

AJ and I continue to have lots of fun. We started back to our Wednesday playgroup this week. He was really sweet to a little girl who came crying. He kept patting her back and getting in her face, expressing his concern. Unfortunately, she did not appreciate his attempts at comfort.

Dave is not working as much now that he has things better under control at work so we have had two Zoo outings as a family. AJ loves the zoo. He gets so excited to see the animals. I was proud that he did not call all of the animals dogs. In fact, he gave the sign for cat when he saw the female lions. He loved the gorillas the best. We got to see them in an indoor building through glass. We let AJ get down and walk around. The gorillas were very active and would come knock on the glass. There was a baby gorilla just about AJ's size that was running back and forth and AJ would run back and forth laughing like he was chasing the baby. We must have spent a half hour at the gorilla exhibit and AJ still did not want to leave when we told him it was time to go. I wish I wouldn't have forgotten my camera again!

No comments: